Please note that registrations of interest for the next intake of the SENCOs as Leaders Award are now open.
SENCOs as Leaders Award
If you are a SENCO on your way from the National Award for SEN Coordination to an MA in Educational Leadership or SEND and Inclusion, the SENCOs as Leaders Award is an exciting part of the Masters journey. If you are a SENCO who wants to further develop skills in leadership of SEND within your school or setting, this course provides a powerful professional development opportunity available in a non-accredited format.
‘Ofsted has identified the need for leaders to have a clear and ambitious vision for providing high quality inclusive education to all pupils.’ (Ofsted school inspection framework: 2019).
- Personal effectiveness in leading learning for pupils with special educational needs and / or disabilities.
- Creating and developing effective teams.
- Leading learning and teaching and additional provision.
- Aspiration and accountability.
- Building skills and confidence to lead and develop outstanding practice for pupils with special educational needs and / or disabilities.
- Your learning will impact on your personal and professional qualities as a SENCO.
The programme comprises five full-day sessions running across the Summer and Autumn term. Additional supervision time will be given to those who are pursuing the accredited route which includes a 4500 word assignment to identify a school-based leadership project.
Assessment and Accreditation
Accredited Route (30 M level credits; University of Hertfordshire):
- Completion of a leadership of SEND project.
- 4,500 word assignment summarising the project.
Non-accredited CPD Route:
- Completion of a leadership of SEND project summarised in power-point slides.
SENCOs must have successfully completed the National Award for SEN Coordination, or have been in post prior to 2009.
Benefits to You
- Through your participation of this programme you will see an improvement in:
- Leadership confidence and management skills
- Knowledge and skills to lead the change process
- Communication between staff, pupils, parents and other professionals
- Provision, policy and practice
- Your professional development will impact upon your leadership skills in your school/educational setting and/or across schools.
- There will also be the opportunity to share the outcome of your project with others across the region by publishing a summary on the Regional SEND Forum.
Benefit to your Organisation
- Increasing leadership skills, knowledge and confidence
- Development of ambitious policy and practice for pupils with SEND in your school/setting
- Development of skills in managing the change process and the ability to communicate effectively with senior leaders, governance colleagues, pupils, parents and other professionals.
The SENCOs as Leaders Award will run via Group 152, our virtual classroom.
Accredited route: £985+VAT
(Accreditation by the School of Education, University of Hertfordshire)
Non-accredited CPD route: £625+VAT
Our Learner Management System (LMS)
The LMS is the Eastern Partnership’s online learning platform which you will have access to throughout the course. Reading materials and resources, as well as the training day materials/PowerPoints will be uploaded each time you have a teaching day and throughout the course to assist with learning and development. You will be expected to access a certain amount of the information in order to pass the course.
You will be set up with a unique log in prior to the course commencing and you can continue to use this facility throughout the duration of your course.
For those who are current participants you can access the LMS at any time either by clicking ‘Access LMS’ in the main menu of the site, or by clicking here.
How to register
Please note that registrations of interest for the next intake of the SENCOs as Leaders Award are now open. Please complete the form below and we shall contact you as soon as further details are available.
Please note that these dates have already started and are for reference only.
Venue: a study place of your choice from where you will be able to participate in the day’s teaching/activities and discussion. All sessions start at 9.30 and allowing for coffee, lunch and tea breaks will run through until 4/4.30.
Day 1 – Friday 11th June 2021
Day 2 – Tuesday 22nd June 2021
Day 3 – Thursday 15th July 2021
Day 4 – Tuesday 21st September 2021
Day 5 – Tuesday 12th October 2021
We work in partnership with the following organisations to deliver the SENCOs as Leaders Award: