aptGO (SEN & Disability Focus)
aptGO is an innovative Audit and Planning tool for working at Ofsted judgements Good and Outstanding. It is suitable for both primary and secondary mainstream schools and can also be used in special schools and specialist provision. There is a new dedicated special schools version launching in the summer term 2021.
The purpose of the aptGO is to help you describe, evidence and improve your policy and practice for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities against the requirements in the current Ofsted inspection framework. Please note that the aptGO is reviewed regularly and amended to reflect any changes or updates to the Ofsted inspection framework.
You can access the aptGO by purchasing a boxset for your own use in-house. Alternatively, you can find out about one of our specialist facilitators who can provide additional perspectives and a critically reflective approach to guide you through your discussions.
The tool is aimed at senior leadership and management teams in all schools and settings from KS1 – 4. The box set includes one master, and two working copies of the aptGO, and associated resources. It provides a framework for auditing, planning, and further developing SEND policy and practice to help schools achieve Good and Outstanding judgements when they are inspected.
aptGO covers 36 areas under the four Ofsted headings of:
- Leadership and Management
- Quality of Education
- Behaviour and Attitudes
- Personal Development
There are a series of incremental statements designed to generate discussion, from which agreement is reached determining the current level of practice and any consequent actions.
If you are using the aptGO ‘in-house’ the incremental statements are sufficiently detailed to guide rigorous discussion aimed at identifying and evidencing good practice. Once this has been achieved you can use the incremental statements to help frame your next steps on your journey towards good and outstanding practice. The aptGO not only provides a framework for your journey as a school/setting, it can also be used to support discussions with inspectors during initial or return visits.
If you choose to access an experienced facilitator to guide your discussions, they will bring their expertise as a leader in SEND to provide challenge and wider perspectives to your discussions and consequent planning.
Benefit to your Organisation
- The aptGO is updated each time Ofsted revises the School Inspection Framework.
- It enables leadership teams to discuss current policy and practice, agree baselines, and identify a secure evidence base against the 36 school improvement areas.
- It supports leadership teams in creating a next steps action plan, appropriate timeframes and a cyclical process for review.
- The process enables leadership teams to describe and evidence policy and practice for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities against the requirements in the current Ofsted inspection framework.
- The aptGO provides a unique and innovative way to prepare for or respond to inspection.
- You will be offered the opportunity to join the Regional SEND Forum which is an online hub for professionals working with children and young people with SEND in schools and settings.
“As a Head, it ticked so many boxes and provided a valuable tool to help staff air views, reflect on current arrangements and identify next steps.”
– Headteacher, Elsworth C.E. (A) Primary School, Cambridgeshire
“Outstanding again! We owe this in part to the aptGO as it was transformational in highlighting gaps and providing a structure for developing even greater innovative cutting edge practice”
– Vice Principal, Beacon Hill Academy, Thurrock
“For my own personal professional, professional development, the aptGO process allows you to reflect, quality assure and plan strategically. There is no doubt that the aptGO process contributed in preparing us for an imminent Ofsted and with our third consecutive Outstanding judgement, wholly recommended.”
– Headteacher, Phoenix School, Peterborough
How to register
If you are interested in purchasing a boxset or a facilitated day, please complete the form below.