SENCOs as Leaders Award
The latest dates for the SENCOs as Leaders Award are available below.
The SENCOs as Leaders Award adds to the suite of training which includes the National Award for SEN Coordination and the Advanced SENCO Award and can lead to a Masters in Educational Leadership. This programme is suitable for SENCOs who have successfully completed the National Award for SEN Coordination or have been in post prior to 2009.
Ofsted have identified the leadership and management of provision, progress and achievement of pupils with special educational needs and those with disabilities as central to the judgement made as a result of inspection.
- Personal effectiveness in leading learning for pupils with special educational needs and / or disabilities.
- Creating and developing effective teams.
- Leading learning and teaching and additional provision.
- Aspiration and accountability.
- Building skills and confidence to lead and develop outstanding practice for pupils with special educational needs and / or disabilities.
- Your learning will impact on your personal and professional qualities as a SENCO
The programme comprises five full-day sessions running across the Summer and Autumn term. Additional supervision time will be given to those who are pursuing the accredited route which includes a 4500 word assignment describing a school-based project.
Assessment and Accreditation
- Completion of an action research project which is assessed through presentation.
- Completion of an action research project.
- 4,500 word assignment describing a school-based project.
Accreditation is worth 30 Masters Level Credits.
SENCOs must have successfully completed the National Award for SEN Coordination, or have been in post prior to 2009.
Benefits to You
- Through your participation of this programme you will see an improvement in:
- Leadership confidence and management skills
- Knowledge and skills to lead the change process
- Communication between staff, pupils, parents and other professionals
- Provision, policy and practice
- Your professional development will impact upon your leadership skills in schools and your learning can be used to inform practice in other schools across your area.
- There will also be the opportunity to share the outcome of your project with others across the region by publishing either in the practitioner journal or via the ELC virtual learning environment.
Benefit to your Organisation
- Development of policy and practice for pupils with SEN in your school.
- Development of managing the change process and skills in communicating with staff, pupils, parents and other professionals.
The SENCOs as Leaders Award will run in your local area where there are groups of ten SENCOs or over. Otherwise, training will take place at The Nucleus, Chesterford Research Park.
Our Learning Management System (LMS)
The LMS is our online learning platform which you will have access to throughout the course. Reading materials and resources, as well as the training day materials/PowerPoints will be uploaded each time you have a teaching day and throughout the course to assist with learning and development. You will be expected to access a certain amount of the information in order to pass the course.
You will be set up with a unique log in prior to the course commencing and you can continue to use this facility throughout the duration of your course.
You can access the LMS at any time either by clicking ‘Access LMS’ in the main menu of the site, or by clicking here.
The application round for the current SENCOs as Leaders Award is now open. Please click the ‘Register’ button below to proceed.
In order to deliver this qualification, we work in partnership with the following organisations:
University of Hertfordshire
Bedford Borough Council
Cambridgeshire County Council
Carillon (covering Southend-on-Sea)
Essex County Council
Herts for Learning
London Borough of Redbridge
Norfolk County Council
Peterborough City Council
Peterborough Learning Partnership
Suffolk County Council
*Interchangeable use of the language SEN/SEND.
How to register
Please click the Register button below to complete the online form and book your place on the SENCOs as Leaders Award.