Advanced Skills for Teaching Assistants Level 4 (SEN Focus)
Registrations for 2018-19 are now open
This is an exciting and innovative course for teaching assistants and HLTAs who want to further their knowledge about working with pupils with special educational needs and develop coaching and mentoring skills to share good practice with colleagues.
The Advanced Skills for Teaching Assistants Level 4 (SEN Focus) programme is comprised of six full day sessions. Additionally, participants will receive supervision during the course to assist with their learning in action projects and portfolios.
Broadening and deepening knowledge about high incidence SEN, including – specific learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, and dyscalculia), speech language and communication needs, autism spectrum disorder, and social, emotional and mental health issues. Where required by the group, knowledge and skills about supporting children and young people with complex special educational needs will be explored. This knowledge will be applied to extending a range of skills which include the following;
- Developing coaching and mentoring approaches to support colleagues in improving teaching and learning through effective support roles;
- Exploring reflective practice within the changing context of teaching and learning for pupils with special educational needs;
- Using innovative support styles to ensure measurable impact on progress for pupils;
- Establishing effective feedback and metacognitive thinking for pupils with special educational need.
Assessment is by activities captured in a portfolio, an action in learning project, and through presentation.
Costs and Accreditation
The cost of the face to face delivery programme is £750+VAT, which includes accreditation of 30 credits with Gateway Qualifications. This course is accredited at Level 4.
Benefits to You
- The chance to participate in a professional development course which provides you with 30 credits at Level 4.
- Develop coaching and mentoring skills to enable you to share good practice with colleagues.
- Enables you to engage in effective, reflective practice which can be shared with colleagues in your school.
- Opportunities to network with other colleagues in similar roles within your local area.
Benefit to your Organisation
- Successful completion will have a positive impact on progress and outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs.
- Delegates who have completed this course are able to provide effective support as highly trained members of staff. Not only is this beneficial to the pupils with special educational needs, but also for colleagues with whom the teaching assistant works, as the expectation of this course is that they will evidence improvements in their own practice and the ability to coach and mentor other support staff mentors across the school.
Applicants should be Teaching Assistants or HLTAs at Level 3, and have an English GCSE Grade A-C (or equivalent).
“I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed the course, it has been so inspiring and I have learnt so much, I do hope I will be able to attend future courses.”
In order to deliver this qualification, we work in partnership with the following organisations:
Cambridgeshire County Council
Essex County Council
Herts for Learning
*Interchangeable use of the language SEN/SEND.
2018-19 Cohort Dates:
Please note that you may access the location where each group is taking place by clicking the name of the venue.
Central Region – The Nucleus, Chesterford Research Park
Day 1 – Tuesday 13th November 2018
Day 2 – Tuesday 11th December 2018
Day 3 – Wednesday 23rd January 2019
Day 4 – Tuesday 12th March 2019
Day 5 – Tuesday 30th April 2019
Day 6 – Wednesday 26th June 2019
Over (Cambridge) – Over Conference and Community Centre
Day 1 – Wednesday 14th November 2018
Day 2 – Wednesday 12th December 2018
Day 3 – Thursday 24th January 2019
Day 4 – Thursday 14th March 2019
Day 5 – Monday 29th April 2019
Day 6 – Friday 28th June 2019
How to register
Please click on the Register button below to complete the online form for the Advanced Skills for Teaching Assistants Level 4 (SEN Focus) programme.
Coming soon – A unique blended learning option
We are pleased to announce an upcoming unique blended learning approach to the Advanced Skills for Teaching Assistants (Level 4) course that will sit alongside our existing face-to-face delivery model. This option will be available from Autumn term 2018. Further details will be coming soon, so please register your interest below to be among the first to find out more about this exciting new addition to the Eastern Partnership UK (SEND) training library.