Advanced SENCO Award
2017-18 dates for the Advanced SENCO Award are now available, please see below for more information.
Whether you are a SENCO who has completed the National Award for SEN Coordination and wish to progress your studies, or you are an experienced SENCO wishing to update your knowledge and skills, this course is suitable for you. It is particularly useful for those who are carrying out the SENCO role across schools or groups of schools or who are likely to become a cluster SENCO in the future.
- Strategic work with colleagues within school or across schools.
- Improving participation in learning in a variety of contexts.
- Leading, developing and where necessary, challenging practice.
- Evaluating evidence about learning.
- Developing, monitoring and evaluating systems within one or multiple settings.
- Your learning will impact on your personal and professional qualities as a SENCO
The knowledge and skills you will gain are in line with the national learning outcomes for SENCOs taking part in M level study.
Assessment and Accreditation
- Completion of an action research project which is assessed through presentation.
- Completion of an action research project.
- 4,500 word assignment describing a school-based project.
Accreditation is worth 30 Masters Level Credits.
Participants must hold Qualified Teacher Status and have either successfully completed the National Award for SEN Coordination or have been a SENCO in post since 2009.
Benefits to You
- The knowledge and skills you will gain are in line with the national learning outcomes for SENCOs taking part in M level study.
- Successful completion will result in 30 Masters Level credits with the University of Hertfordshire, and the opportunity to progress your studies to a full MA level.
Benefits to your Organisation
- The development, monitoring, and evaluation of systems and practices within one or multiple settings.
- The increased knowledge and experience gained through this course will be invaluable to schools and education settings wishing to guarantee high quality SEN provision.
Delivery Pattern and Venues
The course is delivered in multiple areas across the region and additional groups can be set up in other areas where there are 10 or more participants. The course is delivered by qualified and highly experienced specialist tutors and comprises four days teaching in your local area and a one day regional conference/presentation day.
Our Learning Management System (LMS)
The LMS is our online learning platform which you will have access to throughout the course. Reading materials and resources, as well as the training day materials/PowerPoints will be uploaded each time you have a teaching day and throughout the course to assist with learning and development. You will be expected to access a certain amount of the information in order to pass the course.
You will be set up with a unique log in prior to the course commencing and you can continue to use this facility throughout the duration of your course.
You can access the LMS at any time either by clicking ‘Access LMS’ in the main menu of the site, or by clicking here.
In order to deliver this qualification, we work in partnership with the following organisations:
University of Hertfordshire
Bedford Borough Council
Cambridgeshire County Council
Essex County Council
Herts for Learning
London Borough of Redbridge
Norfolk County Council
Peterborough City Council
Peterborough Learning Partnership
Suffolk County Council
*Interchangeable use of the language SEN/SEND.
How to register
Dates for the 2017-18 Advanced SENCO Award cohort are now available on the sidebar of this page. Please click the Register button below to complete the online form and secure your place.